Monday, January 21, 2013

Marital Bliss Monday: Showing Affection through Physical Touch

 

"Greet one another with a holy kiss."
                                         ~Romans 16:16
 

If you’ve ever read the book, “The Five Love Languages “ by Gary Chapman, then you probably understand that by knowing your love language and the love language of your spouse, can create a better understanding of each other and your individual needs. In other words, you know what your husband needs in order to feel loved, needed and wanted. The five love languages consist of words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time and physical touch. Some individuals possess only one type of love language, while others may have more than one.

After reading this book a few years back, I discovered that my love language is words of affirmation. I need to hear from my husband that he loves me, I’m doing a great job, or that I look nice today. As I’ve really gotten to know Matt more and more throughout our marriage, I have come to the understanding and conclusion that his love language is physical touch. See, the thing about love languages is that just because your love language is one thing doesn’t mean your husband’s is the same. Therefore, it takes awareness on your part to discover what makes him feel loved.

As I discovered that physical touch is what makes Matt feel loved and reassured in our marriage, I had to learn to become more affectionate in my actions towards him. Though physical touch isn’t something I necessarily always need, he does. Now, I make a conscious effort to, for example, lie close to him at night while he falls asleep, or reach over and hold his hand while we’re driving down the road. These acts reinforce my love for him, and show him I know what he needs.

Jesus not only used words to demonstrate His love, care and concern for people, but he too used physical touch.
 

And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him, saying, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.” Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.”…  Matthew 8:2-3


Now when Jesus had come into Peter’s house, He saw his wife’s mother lying sick with a fever. So He touched her hand, and the fever left her. And she arose and served them. Matthew 8:15

I believe these acts Jesus demonstrated prove how important physical touch is in order to communicate worth and value towards one another. What a wonderful lesson to learn.
Do you know your love language? Even better, do you know your spouse's love language?

Many Blessings,

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Definitely something to think about and remember daily. Thanks for sharing and for the reminder of how important it is to know your spouses love language.

    ReplyDelete