Monday, January 28, 2013

Marital Bliss Monday: Showing Your Appreciation


Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.
Proverbs 31:28

How do you show your appreciation and gratitude towards your spouse? Besides saying the words, “thank you”, do you also express your gratefulness through your actions? I have to say, this is something Matt and I do really well. Not only do we show our appreciation for one another through our words, but we also express it through our actions. I believe verbal expressions of thanks along with actions, can tell your spouse, “I notice what you do for me, and I am so thankful”. It says, “Because you’ve done this for me, I want to do this for you and help you in any way I can”.
Along with your actions, a simple acknowledgement can go a long way. I know how I feel when Matt notices something I’ve done for him. It makes me feel appreciated, wanted and needed. It also lets me know that I’ve made him happy. Matt is a great helper, but sometimes his acknowledgment of the things I do, is more than enough for me.  In return, I always want him to know that he is also appreciated, wanted and needed, because he is. Yesterday he fixed a couple things and ordered some parts for my vehicle, in which I have wanted fixed for over a year now. I didn’t want to spend the money to have someone else repair them, so I just let it go, but every time we’d get in the truck I’d make a comment about how I wished it was fixed. Well, yesterday he spent his entire afternoon looking up how to fix it and going to and from the store, and by late afternoon he did it-everything was repaired! Now, I know he really enjoyed doing it, because if he can fix something on his own he will, but I really was so happy that he did that for me. I let him know how thankful and excited I was that he was able to do that for me, and I could see in his face how proud he was to make me happy, and for me, that makes me happier than the fact that my truck is now repaired.

I know I say this all the time, and I will forever believe it, but I know in my heart Matt was a gift from God. I know this because of where I was at in my life when I met him, and for this I thank God for him every day, for He has given me a man worthy to be praised.
So, today I encourage you to stop and think about the thing your spouse does daily that you can express your gratitude for?

Many Blessings,

Rachel   

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! What a really great reminder. It seems the longer I'm married sometimes I just overlook this important detail. Not because I don't appreciate him, but because I get caught up in the day to day activity and forget. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said and again such a wonderful reminder. Like the comment above, I sometimes forget to tell and or show C just how thankful I am for all he does for us. Really, too many things to list. Thanks for helping me remember this and to remember to show him how much I appreciate him through my actions and words! Loving this series of posts! XO

    ReplyDelete