Friday, March 1, 2013

Happy Friday: An Inspiring Word


Happy Friday, y’all! I guess I should also extend a “Happy March”! I’m so excited it’s March, because that means it’s almost Spring, and I am so ready to say goodbye to Winter!

I took a little break from blogging this week to focus on a few projects around the house that I’ve wanted to conquer for a while now. I’ve had a pretty successful week. I’ll share some of those projects on my blog next week, but today I wanted to share with you my daily devotional. I wasn’t planning on posting today, but I really enjoyed this devotional and it’s too good not to share.

When you tell someone about your faith, do you give them religion…or relationship?
The Bible says we must be born again. It doesn’t say we must be religious.
There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit. John 3:1-8

Unfortunately, we as Christians often present the Gospel to people like it’s a list of religious rules, not a true relationship with God.But following “Christian” rules and going to church won’t make you a Christian anymore than sitting in a garage will make you a car.
Religious rules and regulations can be harsh, hard and pressing, but that’s not what Jesus wants for people. Jesus wants people to live in a relationship with Him.
If someone asks us, “What religion are you?” we should talk about our personal relationship with Jesus instead of what church we attend. I like to answer that question by saying, “Thank you for asking. I don’t have any religion, but I do have Jesus.”
We need to start asking people, “Do you know Jesus?” “Is he your friend?” “Do you have a personal relationship with Him?”
Next time someone asks about your faith, give them relationship…not religion.
Prayer starter: God, it’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking that someone needs to follow a list of rules to really be a Christian, but that’s not the kind of faith You want from people. Empower us to share Your Gospel with others in a way that leads them not into a religious system, but into a one-on-one, life-changing relationship with You.

This is something my daddy always taught me and my sisters. Today, I’m so thankful for my relationship with God. How comforting it is to know he is always right here with me. I don’t have to go far for him to hear my prayers, my thoughts, my concerns, my fears, my joy, my happiness.  He is my friend, my strength, my comfort-that’s what brings me peace each and every day.

Have a great weekend friends,

Rachel

 

No comments:

Post a Comment