Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Let's Dish Wednesday: Beef Stew & Buttered Rosemary Rolls

I’m so excited to introduce to you Let’s Dish Wednesdays! This will be the day I share with you some of my favorite recipes I’ve discovered, and in return I’d love for you to share yours! Within a couple of weeks, I want to start a Let’s Dish Wednesdays Link Up for you to share your yummy discoveries. So let’s get started!
This week it’s Beef Stew and Buttered Rosemary Rolls. These two recipes come from none other than The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food fromMy Frontier. I received this book for Christmas from my mother-in-law and it has quickly become my best friend.
A couple of weekends back my husband and I celebrated our 1st Wedding Anniversary and instead of going away for the weekend, we stayed home and did some good downhome cookin’. Yes, when I say “we” I mean he and I both cooked. It was such a great time! We called this weekend “Pioneer Woman Weekend”.  In fact, we cooked a total of 11 recipes all from The Pioneer Woman Cookbook. So you will be getting a lot of recipes from this wonderful book over the next few weeks. And believe me, you won’t be disappointed in a single one.

I have to admit, I did alter this recipe a tad, but first, I will give the original recipe directly from the book and then I’ll share with you my personal version.
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 pounds beef stew meat
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can or bottle of beer
4 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
½ teaspoon paprika
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
4 new potatoes, quartered
4 carrots, unpeeled, roughly sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Minced parsley, for garnish (optional)
Directions:
1.       Start by heating the olive oil and butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Throw in the stew meat and quickly brown it on all sides, about 5 minutes.
2.       Remove the meat to a clean plate and set aside.
3.       Throw the onion into the pot then reduce the heat to low
4.       Stir the onion around to cook until softened, about 3 minutes
5.       Then throw in the garlic and stir it around to cook for a minute
6.       Pour in the beer
7.       Pour in the beef broth
8.       Add the Worcestershire sauce
9.       Add the tomato paste
10.   Add paprika
11.   Add sugar, salt and pepper
12.   Finally, return the meat to the pot, cover it, and simmer the stew over very low heat for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until the meat is very tender. If the liquid level gets too low, add 1 to 2 cups hot water as needed.
13.   Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot. Stir them in and continue simmering for 30 minutes more, or until the vegetables are tender.
14.   To thicken the stew, remove 1 cup of the cooking liquid and whisk in the flour.
15.   Pour the flour mixture into the pot and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, or until the stew is very thick. Add parsley at the end if desired.
16.   Dish it up and serve it with crusty bread and a very, very hearty appetite.
 
Okay, now for my version…
I did not change any of the ingredients, except for instead of beef, I used elk. I first baked an elk roast in the oven for 1 hour. I then chopped the roast into small chunks. In a crockpot, I added all ingredients and then added the meat to the mixture. I then cooked the stew in the crockpot on low heat for 10 hours.
Instead of crusty bread, I chose her ButteredRosemary Rolls. These are heavenly! 
Ingredients:
Butter
Frozen unbaked, unrisen dinner rolls
Coarsely chopped fresh rosemary to taste
Coarse sea salt to taste
 
Directions:
1.       Melt 1 tablespoon butter in an iron skillet over medium-low heat. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
2.       Place the dinner rolls in the warm skillet, allowing some space between the rolls.
3.       Cover with a dish town or cloth napkin and set aside in a warm place to rise for at least 2 hours.
4.       When risen, the rolls will be poufy and soft.
5.       Melt 2 tablespoons butter, then brush the butter onto the rolls.
6.       Then sprinkle the rolls with chopped rosemary.
7.       Finally, sprinkle with sea salt.
8.       Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
This is a great winter’s day meal-Enjoy!
Now it's your turn-share your favorite recipe & Let's Dish! 

*Please note, I have added links from The Pioneer Woman website that take you directly to each of  these recipes.
Rachel
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I love Ree Drummond! I've been meaning to get one of her cookbooks for a while now. Her and Ina Garten are two of my favorites. That beef stew sounds delicious... and rosemary is one of my favorite herbs, I'd love those rolls! Yum.

    ReplyDelete