Friday, February 8, 2013

Worry: The Paralysis of Faith


Who out there is a worrier? I’ll be the first to admit-I am! However, my level of worry has decreased drastically in the last six months, give or take. I can still remember my momma telling me, “Rachel, if you don’t stop worrying like you do, you’re going to have ulcers before you’re twelve!” I thought I had worries then, can you imagine how I felt as I got older and had “real” worries? I know there are so many of us who struggle with the sin of worry. Yes, I said sin. I remember listening to Joyce Meyer preach about worry, and when presented with the question, “Did you know worry is a sin”, I think my heart stopped. I know I’m sinner; we all are, but all the years of continuous, extreme worry…I was convicted and I knew I had to change.
Maybe I’m stupid to not have ever looked at worry this way before, but I just didn’t. But knowing this now is what has changed my life, decreased my worry and built my faith. I didn’t want to be disobedient towards God; though he commands us to not worry, I did every day of my life. Worry really did paralyze me. For those of you who may be in the same boat I was in, I want to share with you pieces of my bible reading from this morning. These readings make you stop and think, and want to cry out for forgiveness. I know I did.

 These quotes and scripture come for The Woman’s Study Bible NKJV Second Edition.
 
Worry causes fear to crowd out faith. Thus in the final reckoning, “the cowardly” are listed alongside the “unbelieving”.
Worry is sin and confession of lack of faith.
In place of anxious thoughts, you then freely offer thanksgiving from a heart established with trust in God as all sufficient.
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he dwelt in the land of promise as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise; for he waited for the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God. ~Hebrews 11:8-10

I wish you all a blessed day. Happy Friday, friends!

Rachel

 
Just a reminder the Clever Container Blogger Party ends tomorrow at 10PM (Mountain Time)
 photo d4c501e8-ae10-458e-bdee-efc22c533ad8_zpsf9225ded.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post Rachel. You have such a gift at sharing things that can truly impact a persons day! It's sometimes so hard to remember this but I'm glad you reminded me that worrying gets us no where and Faith is what carries us through! XO

    ReplyDelete